Monday, September 10, 2012

The Local Cafe

The Local Cafe
36 Paget St
HiltonWA 6163

So. You know how I mentioned there were two cafes that were really close together in Hilton? Well I went to the other cafe...The Local Cafe...with dan for our regular monday brunch date. It was too cold to sit outside, and lucky there was one table left in the teeny tiny cafe, so I sat on down to wait for dan.

Halfway through the west aussie paper he turned up and we turned out attention to the menu. I of course, chose the pancakes and dan had the eggs bennedict. Now, I don't think I have mentioned this before, but I don't eat eggs. So I highly rate a cafe on how many 'egg-less' options they have. Muffins, granola and toast don't count because I can make that at home. The only option on this menu was the pancakes. 



Now, when the meals came out...mine came first, and it was your stock standard pancakes...three medium sized ones with about 3 strawberries chopped ontop and some (good quality) maple syrup. THEN the EB came out...and it looked freaking amazing, with pesto-mayo, a pile of eggs and crispy bacon absolutely lathered in sauce. Made my pancakes look pretty boring, and I was jealous. 



Anyways, I dug in regardless and...well...the flavour of the pnacakes was spot on, not too sweet, not too airy, nice and fresh and slightly crispy with yummy fresh strawberries...but they were just a teeny tiny bit too thick, and so the middle tasted slightly uncooked. On the other hand, dan had a freaking awesome breakfast that he couldn't stop raving about. 

We also had drinks..a chai for me...but they used powder, so it was very very sweet, but still really tasty (and better than the syrup they use at my work...eugh) and dans coffee...well it looked alright, but definitely not one of the best coffees around. Also it came in a plastic cup. wtf.

Like I said, the cafe was tiny, only 5 tables...and they were full of ladies catching up for coffee. There was a bali-style theme, with bright cushions and wooden wall hangings. The owner (and coffee maker) was sitting with some friends at one table, and would get up to make coffee and supervise the young (thai?) man on the till when required.  I was charged $45 for both breakfasts and coffees, and after a think, went back to demand some money back, because that was ridiculously overpriced! I was right...I was charged around $8 more for some reason - but there was no problem, after three goes at adding up the bill, it was sorted and I got some money back. The EB was $16 and my pancakes, $13, with both drinks being $4.5 - rather pricey for a local cafe.

So...what can I say...the serving sizes were excellent, the pancakes weren't bad, just not excellent, the coffee was mediocre and they overcharged me, but happily refunded (and accepted my pancake cristcism). It was nice to try, but I won't be going back to the local. I would rather head up the road a bit to sweet ginger...or next door to the wholesale patisserie, that had a very impressive array of cakes.

1 comment:

  1. The coffee was served in a salt and pepper double walled latte glass ! Feel free to come and smash one , but thanks for your comments Ary the Indonesian guy also the chef makes the best pancakes and no doubt the most amazing eggs Benny in WA . our tinny tiny cafe that seats 12 inside and 55 out side !!

    ReplyDelete