Monday, June 27, 2011

sherbet cupcakes: attempt number ONE (a)

1) I AM SO SORRY. for not posting for over a month. FAIL BLOGGER. but I do have at least 6 recipes to put up, so watch out!


2) I work at sherbet cafe, in maylands. My boss (most amazing boss ever) is teaching me to bake. Everything I thought I knew about baking is being THROWN OUT THE WINDOW! I am learning so much and I am loving it, even if I have to get up at 5 in the morning.


3) I am determined to perfect the sherbet cupcake recipe. So, I plan on blogging each recipe, and letting you know how it goes.




Sherbet Cupcakes - attempt 1


110g unsalted butter softened 
1 cup sugar
2 eggs (mine were a little cold, but should be room temp)
3/4 c self raising flour (I used my housemates SR flour which had cream of tarta in it as well)
3/4 c plan flour
1/2 c milk (i used skinny)
1 tspn vanilla essence


Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line cupcake pan with papers.
In a large bowl, cream butter until smooth.
Add sugar slowly and beat until fluffy (it goes a white colour).
Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
Measure the flour into a seperate bowl.
Add the milk and flour to the butter mix, alternating and in about 3 lots (so, milk (mix), flour (mix), milk (mix), flour (mix) etc)
Spoon the batter into prepared tin, filling to about 3/4 full.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until inserted skewer comes out clean.
Remove cupcakes from tin and cool on wire rack.


Icing:
110 g unsalted butter, softened.
6-8 cups icing sugar
1/2 tspn vanilla essence
1/2 c milk
food colouring if desired.


Place butter in a mixing bowl. Add half the icing sugar, all the milk and vanilla.
Beat for around 5 minutes, or until icing is pale.
Add the remaining icing sugar, until you have the right spreading consistency.
Add a few drops of colouring.
Store the icing at room temperature.


The easiest way to decorate the cupcakes is with the icing in a piping bag. I didnt have one (or time to make one) so I just spread it on with a knife.


Reflection:
Ok, so with this recipe, the cupcakes didnt rise very high. Due to not enough air being incorporated in the beating stage, or too heavy folding knocking all the air out.
There was also WAY TOO MUCH SUGAR!!!!
I had no cupcake papers, so they came out of the tin funny.
My icing wasnt very smooth, so I probably added too much icing sugar.
AANNNDDD I didnt sift my flour (or use plain SR flour).
Attempt number two coming up soon :D









No comments:

Post a Comment