Monday, November 22, 2010

Heav(enl)y Fruit Christmas Cake (a)


Hello. My name is Alex, and I am a Christmas addict.

I love love LOVE Christmas.

I love going to midnight mass, and the spirituality of Christmas. I love spending time with my family. I love decorating the tree (and the house). I love wrapping presents. I love BUYING presents. I love CHRISTMAS LIGHTS. I love the long drive to my grandparents (or elsewhere). I love getting a 'Christmas dress' and saving it for Christmas day. I love making cards, and sending them. I love the sunny days, and passing out on the grass or couch after lunch.

I LOOOOVVEEE CHHRISTMAASS FOOOOOOOOOOOODDD!!!!!

So, even though we are going to NZ for Christmas this year (wooooo) mum is still gonna pump out the usual Christmas food. We make Christmas cake, fruit mince pies, white choc apricot truffles, hazelnut chocolates, ginger biscuits, pavlova, ham, turkey, roast pumpkin salad and much more. So, as I help mum out this year, I'm gonna post all the recipes. So that next year, I have a reference for them, and hopefully to inspire you to get into the kitchen!!!

First things first, the epitome of Christmas...CAAAKKEEE!!!! I know alot of people dont like Christmas cake, but thats because they are doing it wrong (and probably buying it from a shop). Seriously, this will change your mind. First, you make the cake...this recipe. I'll tell you all about the marzipan later. OH and I got some good pics :D


Heavy Fruit Christmas cake


FIRST:
1/3 c pitted prunes, halved
1 1/2 c (250g) sultanas
1 1/2 c (250g) currants
1/2 c sweet sherry
1/2 c brandy

Combine prunes, sultanas, currants and alcohols into a LARGE bowl.
Cover and leave to stand, the longer (ie: a week) the better, just make sure you stir it at least once a day.
Before using, drain any excess fluid (shouldnt be there if its been sitting for a week though) and save.



SECOND (fruit nut mix):

1 1/2 c (250g) glace cherries
1 1/2 c (250g) diced dates
1 c mixed peel
2 c walnut pieces

After a week or so of the fruit soaking, add these ingredients into the large bowl and stir to combine.




THIRD:

1 tbspn dry instant coffee
1/4 c hot water
3 tbspn plum jam
1 tbspn cocoa

In a small bowl, combine these ingredients until the coffee is dissolved.


FOURTH (cake mix):

125 g butter softened
1/2 c brown sugar
3 eggs
1 c plain flour
3/4 c SR flour
1 tspn cinnamon
1 tspn mixed spice
1/2 tspn nutmeg

Cream butter and sugar in a medium bowl.
Add eggs quickly, one at a time and beat until only just combined between each addition.
Stir in the coffe/jam/cocoa mix (THIRD step).
Add the flour and mix well. Follow with the SR flour, mix well, and finally the spices.


Prepare cake tin (23cm diameter) by layering it with 3 sheets of baking paper.
Add the cake mix to the fruit nut mix and stir well until all combined.

Pour mix into the cake tin.
Cook in slow oven (150 celcius) for 2 hours.
Brush any reserved liquid from the fruit over the cake while it is still hot, and cool in pan.



Tips
You dont have to use plum jam...raspberry or strawberry will do.
Try adding pecans or brazil nuts instead of walnuts.
If you didnt have any liquid leftover to brush the cake, just use brandy.


No comments:

Post a Comment