Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Pad Thai (a) or a tribute to David Herbert

An Ode to David Herbert

Oh David...
How I love waking up on Saturday morning
Sitting at the table,
Eating my rasin toast
And beating dad to the weekend magazine.
I flick through the glossy pages
Anticipation rising as I reach your column
What will it be this week David?
Sliced pilaf with Pomegranate...
Lamb shanks (italian style)...
Rhubarb chutney...
Simple sweet potato and pea curry (pictured)...
You make my weekend.

Anyways, in tribute to David Herbert (the chef who writes the recipe section of the Australian in the magazine each weekend) and, to my friends Hannah and Alex, I decided that I would make pad thai for dinner.
I've always been a little scared of making PT, just because of this one recipe I read with EPIC ingredients I was worried. However, mum goes...oh i've got a David Herbert recipe for pad thai and I immediately brightened up. David Herbert recipe? I can do that. I only changed one thing, I used chicken instead of prawns because I dont like them.

So here goes, the amazingly simple and unbelievably tasty David Herbert Pad Thai (did I mention he has an english accent??) p.s sorry no pics but the ones I took were bad, and DH doesnt use photos ;)


Pad Thai

1 large chicken breast, sliced
250g flat rice noodles
2 tbspn vegetable oil
1 tspn ground ginger
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 long red chillies
50g bean sprouts
50 g spinach
4 tbpsn lime juice (about 1/2 a lime)
2 tbspn Thai fish sauce
1 tbspn brown sugar
3 spring onions, sliced diagonally
2 tbspns chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
quartered lime and coriander to serve

Place the noodles in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water, leave for 6-7 minutes (dont leave longer or they go all mushy and break up).
Meanwhile, heat a large wok over hight heat (i used a big frypan, works ok)
Add oil, ginger, garlic and chilli and stir fry for 1 minute
Add the chicken and cook.
Remove from pan and set aside.
Drain the noodles, add a bit more oil to the pan and chuck them in the pan with the bean sprouts, spinach, lime juice, fish sauce and ginger. Toss this for about 2 minutes, stir in the chicken and cook for another minute.
Serve with coriander and crushed peanuts ontop, and a wedge of lime on the side.

Tips
Add 24 medium sized uncooked prawns instead of the chicken, just peel and devein them, and cook until pink.
If you dont have roasted unsalted peanuts, just use normal unsalted peanuts, cook them in the microwave for about 30 seconds, rub them to get the skin on and crush.
Add carrot, snow peas or baby corn to the noodles for a healthier meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment