Monday, August 13, 2012

Little Pantry

I read about Little Pantry on the 1000's website and decided I better try it out. Love a good cafe.
Dan was in town, I needed a good chat and a cheer up, so he picked me up on the bike and we headed down the freeway.
 LP is located on nicholson rd, in subi, and its probably one of the prettiest streets in perth, with lots of trees and cute little cottages. All of a sudden, in suburbia is this area of shops - a post office, homewares, real estate and a couple of health places and of course, LP. We parked down the road and walked up to the cafe. It was cold out, and the front of the cafe was shaded, so we sat inside.
I could tell straight away the LP is alll about the coffee (may have been the shirt the baristas were wearing) and not so much about the food.
So we walked to the counter and I looked at the cake available and I asked the tall dude
"what cake is that?"
"eet ez zee zucchiiiiini cake"
"ahhh (points at another that looks like chocolate) - i'll have a slice of that"
"yeeez okay one pieze ouf peppermint slize...will you have coffeeee"
"no thanks, just a soy chai in the pot please"
SHOCK HORROR CROSSES HIS FACE
"ahhh i zink we cannot doo that"
So I talked to the barrista and came up with a solution. Also, if you coudn't tell - the tall dude was french, and obviously didn't have much time for the customers. Its not that he was rude, or obnoxious, but I got the feeling it had been a looong day and all he wanted to do was go home and eat a croissant.
Anyways, our drinks came, and our slice/food came, and it was yuuummmooo. The slice was crisp on the bottom with chunks of delicious pappermint in it and a yummy chocolate icing. It wasn't really that satisfying so I went back for more (brownie - which could have been a bit gooeyer and had stuff in it). I also like my cake served with cream. But that's because i'm a fatty.
My chai came in a glass and tasted good too - but its not as fun when you don't get to pour the tea.



As for the decor - it was a very small cafe, nice blue paint, wooden furnishings and a fun bookshelf full of exciting things to look at. Plus a great range of newspapers. There were only 4 seats with a back (unless you want to sit outside) so it was lucky we got a spot where I could lean against the wall - because I'm not very good at sitting on a stool. The customers were coffee hipsters, dog walkers and a few couples. You probably wouldnt be able to sit a group bigger than 4 or 5 comfortably - its the type of place designed for takeaway.

The price was expensive - my tiny slice was $5 and dan payed for the rest of it, but coffee probably around the $4.5 mark. I guess that's what you get when you dine in subi.

I'm glad I tried it, and if I or a friend was in the area, I would recommend going there for coffee, and a piece of peppermint slice - definitely not a meal - but I wouldn't go out of my way to get there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment