Friday, August 3, 2012

Superstar Waffles

Ever since I was a little girl, on sunday, after church, mum would make a 'special' breakfast. Most of the time it was pancakes (coz pancakes are easy), and sometimes it would be french toast. But, if we were really REALLY lucky, we would get WAFFLES! Soon, I was allowed in the kitchen by myself, and I started to make waffles every sunday morning (they were actually easy mum).

I live out of home now, and have my own waffle machine. On the 25th of march, I always organise a waffle breakfast, because the 25th of march is international waffle day.

Since moving to australia I have come to the sad realisation that most people have grown up believeing gelare waffles are a 'real' waffle. GELARE WAFFLES ARE CRAP. CRAP I TELL YOU! I have spent many mornings making waffles for friends to prove this point.

The perfect waffle

The perfect waffle is hot. It is served with mayple syrup. It is crispy on the outside. It is fluffy in the middle, and when you break it open you should be able to see the steam. It has a slightly savoury, bland taste (like white bread) - you add maple syrup to make it sweet. Or, if you are in norway you eat it with fresh strawberry jam. mmmmmm.

Anyways this is all beside the point. When I heard there was a new waffle joint open in perth I knew I had to try it out - will their waffles exceed gelare and live up to my waffle expectations?

We walked in around 9pm on a saturday night (yes, I spend my saturday evenings eating waffles. so what?) to an empty cafe. SW is located down the alley next to ezra pound. Empty cafe is ok, coz it meant we would get served first - and quickly.

I sat down and looked at the menu (which I had already looked at online) and knew that I had to have the smores waffle with marshmallow fluff, nutella, and marshmallows on the side. My roomie, KC had the banoffie pie (caramel, banana and biscuit on waffle) with icecream. Janeo took a plain waffle with chocolate icecream.

In about 15 minutes our waffles arrived. I spent all of about 20 seconds taking a photo and then dived in.

CRISP WAFFLE. STEAM. FLUFFY INSIDE. INSANELY SWEET MARSHMELLOW FLUFF. and nutella. and a shot glass filled with baby marshmallows to add. It was insane. The marshmallow was sticky and sweet, the waffle was delicious and I was in heaven. The only problem was that I needed more nutella (the lovely waitress brought some over), the cream came out of a can (gross) and that I ended up with a sugar headache.


Janes waffle was actually amazing, even though I scoffed at the 'plain waffle with icecream' the chocolate icecream was quality, and the waffle was the perfect sponginess to mop up all the melted icecream. KC had a whole banana and yummy caramel - and even managed to fit in a scoop of icecream as well!

After our pig-out, we all sat around for a while, drinking water and digesting, before attacking the chalkboard - hilarity ensued.


All in all, superstar waffles is definitley a great example of a REAL waffle - made the american way with all the toppings. They have friendly staff, an open space that could fit up to 30 people, decent music, open late night and the coolest tip jar I have ever seen.

Late night dessert lovers, rejoice!

No comments:

Post a Comment